Another perfect day in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Another perfect day in Dolly Sods Wilderness
Taken just off the Red Creek Trail/Blackbird Knob Trail Junction

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting ready for AT section hike

Well, it is finally time to get my gear ready for the hike I wait for all year, Drum roll please: The Section Connection Annual AT Hike! My GG Mariposa + is slowly getting packed. I really like this pack. It has enough pockets to stay organized on trail and it is still very light. Food is pretty much packed except for cheese and tortillas. Food bag will be around 3.5 to 4 pounds. Probably have too much food, but It is nice to have emergency rations if needed. We do plan to resupply at Loft Mtn Campstore and will probably get a little food at Lewis Mtn Campstore.

I have yet to decide on which shelter I will take, but it will be either my GG One or the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. I am leaning towards the One because it is about a pound lighter. The One is lighter, but the Fly Creek might block wind better if it is cold and it does offer a bit more privacy for campgrounds. This is important since we will be carrying a lot of water at times. Day one is 7 dry miles, day 2 is 12 dry miles. I am gonna go on faith that the springs at Calf Mtn Shelter and Black Rock Hut are not dry. If they are, we gonna get thirsty! I will follow up with a trip report in late September.

No comments:

Post a Comment