Another perfect day in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Another perfect day in Dolly Sods Wilderness
Taken just off the Red Creek Trail/Blackbird Knob Trail Junction

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spring fever!

The warm weather has me thinking about Spring hiking. I hope to sneak out in March this year; I have never done a March B-pack trip. I hope to get at least 20 "bag nights" this year (defined as hiking at least 1 mile, setting up camp and exploring).

Today's gear project was to make a spinnaker stuff sack for the Backpackinglight Stealth Tarp. This was a good project to use up some scrap material. The sack weighs 8 grams including drawcord and mini cord lock.

I will be using a Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack for trips this year (size small). I am hoping that I can get all my gear and a 9 pound food bag in it for our annual Section Connection Appalachian Trail hike. I am shooting to keep my total pack weight (gear, food, fuel, water) for that first "stepping on the trail day" at around 20 pounds. If Ole Ma Nature is cooperative, I should be able to do it.

I am hoping to put together a picture or video review for the GG Gorilla pack and a few other gear items this year. Good hiking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment